Thursday, August 13, 2009

Les is (no) more

Very very sad news: Mr Les Paul has passed away at the age of 94. It's particularly poignant, not just because I own a guitar that carries his illustrious name; not because he was a true innovator who not only revolutionised the solid body electric guitar industry and was also a pioneer in multi-track recording techniques (paving the way for amateur herberts like myself); but because I saw him last year performing his regular Monday night spot in Times Square, New York.
It was at this very concert that I proposed to my wife.
So I feel sorrow at the passing of a true artist and all-round clever geezer who could melt the fretboard and create those amazing jazzy, science fiction sounds (along with ex-wife Mary Ford), but I also feel lucky because I saw him (in excellent form) before he went, and my wife, she said yes. Thanks Les. I've got a lot to thank you for...
Here's Les and Mary in happier times:
POSTSCRIPT: As of the 17th of January 2012 I am no longer married - sorry, Les, but your show was till special.

No comments: