Monday, April 03, 2006

Current Buns No.8 (Livgren and bacon)


Another Proustian 70s AOR moment (see also my posting on Boston here) brought on by listening to too much ‘classic rock’ radio whilst cooking my Sunday breakfast…this time from stadium despoilers Kansas – "the progressive rock powerhouse formed in early 70’s in Topeka", as their site says. Kerry Livgren (now born again in the eyes of the Lord after dabbling in Urantian mythology just like Randy California, fact fans) penned at least a couple of primo examples of the shiny prog pop that signified all things FM and futuristicwhile being strangely cod-pastoral too – more on the sword and scorcery/stateside prog/metal interface soon, folks. These included existential heavyweight “Dust In The Wind” (immortalised by Bill and Ted: “ Dust, wind, dude…”etc.), and the one that had me marvelling at the time changes – “Carry On My Wayward Son” (from their Leftoverture album…sheesh).
Lyrically obtuse…
Masquerading as a man with a reason
My charade is the event of the season
And if I claim to be a wise man, well
It surely means that I don't know

On a stormy sea of moving emotion
Tossed about I'm like a ship on the ocean (NIIICE RHYME!)
I set a course for winds of fortune
But I hear the voices say…

…and bolted together from about three different songs (check the lumbering blues groove that reappears at the end of the main riff), it still has all the tropes necessary to make it eligible for my growing list of grandiose nonsense made for listening to while driving down a freeway to some neon tomorrow…

5 comments:

Peter said...

i had forgotten about kansas. ridiculous album covers, if i remember rightly. of course, kansas' steve walsh ended up workijng with the mighty steve hackett. apparently. ahem...

Peter said...

'workijng' is of course, the danish term for 'collaborating'.

Garuda said...

I knjew you meant that...;-)

Garuda said...

This particular obsession may be taking me too far into prog pomp territory. I found myself looking at a Styx site the other day. hayulp...

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money