Monday, March 20, 2006

Weekend Views No.7


Due to relocation procedures I was confined to a mere two televisual treats. well, I SAY treats but, again, I really ENDURED these celluloid nightmares. The first was a nightmare in a (kinda) good way. 28 Days Later, for some reason, elluded me on release. Probably because it was by Danny Boyle who, let's face it, hasn't got a great track record. Trainspotting? Arse. The Beach? Bad film based on an utterly pants book (you can tell I've moved house - my language is so sophisticated). But who'd have thought it? based on a story by Alex Garland, no less, 28 days...is a genuinely well-thought through attempt to depict post-plague blighty. People don't go all soft and gooey in that Independence Day way; they get mean and twisted. I particularly liked the idea of coming to terms with just EXISTING because life is so grim. And also liked the strange need to form a surrogate family unit in such a desolate place. Nicely shot on DV (cheap at 8 million quid!) and only the usual clunky brit performances let it down. That Cillian Murphy makes me wanna slap him too. He's so creepy. But that's another story...
The second nightmare was The Hole. Didn't even make it to the end. Lousy pacing, rubbish plotting, average performances (La Knightley was exposed for the lightweight she really is - Pirates of the Caribbean be damned, ye scurvy knaves etc.). Am I the only one who wished all of these over-sexed knuckle-headed brats would just kill each other and be done with it? Humourless psycho babble populated by self-obsessed teenagers (is there another kind?) and really, really, REALLY stupid, gullible adults. Urgh...

No comments: